Chicago-Style Hot Giardiniera
- 1 small head cauliflower, broken into small florets (about 5 cups)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 4 serrano peppers, sliced
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 (10-oz) jar small pimiento-stuffed olives, drained
In a large bowl, toss cauliflower, celery, carrot and peppers with salt. Add cold water to cover. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
Drain vegetables; rinse with cold water and drain again. In a large nonreactive bowl, whisk vinegar, garlic, oregano and pepper flakes. Gradually whisk in oil until blended. Add olives and drained vegetables; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, overnight to allow flavors to blend.
Transfer mixture to jars. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.
Note: Wear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Adapted from: Taste of Home